Saturday, July 11, 2009

I cant believe its already July. Time sure flys!!!
Well, lets see....
About a month and a half ago I was at my Moms house visiting with her and my brother. We were sitting around the kitchen table chatting and the kids were running around playing. Kanton came to me and wanted something to eat. So I got him something and made him sit on a chair by me, hopefull to prevent a mess. So we continued on with the adult conversation, when all of a sudden my brother says to me, " does Kanton have a lazy eye?" Of course Im like, " WHY?" Then he had my Mom look at Kantons right eye and she responded with, " oh yah, Wow." So my brother procededs to tell me that Kantons right eye looks like its turning in. (looking in at his nose.) I tryed looking at it, but of course I couldn't get Kanton to sit still and look at me long enough to see it.
So my brother started asking him questions like, " what color is your shirt? What color is Mommys shirt? What color is Grammys shirt? He answered them all correctly. For those of you that don't know my brother is a FireFighter Paramedic. So my brother says, I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you start noticing other weird things, or if he starts acting like he cant see.
So I think nothing of it, Until a few weeks later.
Kanton had a sleep over at Grammy and Papas house and when we picked him up my Mom seemed very concerned about it. She said that he was really rubbing it all night and was really acting like it was bothering him and she could really notice it turning inward the more tired he got. So she recommended getting him in to the Dr.
So that same day I made him an appointment with his Pediatrician and of course couldn't get him in for a few weeks.
A few weeks come and go, we take him to his appointment. Which by the way I dread taking Kanton to the Dr.s cause he hates it SOOOOOOOOOO bad!!!! He just screams and crys the whole time.
So I had my Mom come, since she had seen his eye do this weird thing. (I still hadnt) And the Dr. notices it right away. So of course I feel horrible!! Like, why the heck have I not noticed this! Anyway, the Dr. had me stand right behind her while my Mom held Kanton. The Dr. shined a light in his right eye and there it was!!! I finally saw it.
The Dr. really looked at all angles at his eye and told us that she couldn't see anything abnormal but that we should get him into an Opthamologist.
So I made the appointment and that was a week away. Now the day comes for the Dr. appointment. We get there and Kanton starts freaking out as usual!!
A lady looks at him for a minute and trys to get him to tell her what the different pictures are and he did ok. Then a Guy comes in and does somethings with little tools; putting them in front of one eye, than the other, turning the lights off and on.
Then procededs to tell us that Kanton is not using his right eye at all. Of course my heart sank! He says that they need to dialate his eyes and then the Opthamologist with see him. The guy and Rob hold Kanton down and put the drops in his eye to dialate them and them were sent to the waiting room for the drops to take affect!!!
I was so hard for me to sit in that waiting room and not bawl my eyes out. I just started wondering, " Why?" This precious little guy has delt with so much already and now this. I said to my Mom, " Could one more bad thing happen to him?" My Mom being the wise women that she is, reminded me in a soft calm voice that "YOU KNEW!" At first I wasnt sure what she ment, so I said "What?" She reminded me that I always knew Id have a special child.
You see, I've known from a very young age that I would have a child with special needs. Of course I didnt know what kind of needs. But as time goes by we are learning.
So they call us back to see the Dr. and he does another exam. Of course Kanton is freaking out. I always new Kanton was a strong kid, but as I sat in the corner of that room in the dark, tears streaming down my face, watching my dear sweet husband, a nurse, the Dr. and my sweet Mom holding Kanton down so the Dr. could really look at his eyes, boy is my son STRONG!!!
When the Dr. was done with the exam my dear Mom took Kanton back out to the waiting room to relax and play with the toys. The Dr. informed us that Kanton can see just fine. But for some reason the muscles are pulling his eye inward. In the case that he is seeing fine, they dont know why the eye is doing this, So the Dr. tells us Kanton needs to have an MRI to make sure theres nothing weird going on.
In the mean time, we are to patch the good (left) eye to help strengthen the (right) eye he's not using.
So here we are present day. Kanton has his MRI on Wednesday, the 15th. So we are praying that everything is fould normal with that. I know that what ever happens will be Gods will. I have faith that this will only make Kanton stronger.
We love you bug!!!

1 comment:

The Circus said...

I love you Nikkie!!!!! One day at a time.